How To Use A Theragun Percussion Massager In 5 Easy Steps
Wouldn't it be nice to visit a massage therapist or physical therapist after every workout?
Of course, right?
Although as nice as the idea may sound, it probably isn't accessible nor practicable for most athletes.
Thankfully for you, there's an easy solution...
...a Theragun massage gun.
But before you rush out and purchase one of these incredibly powerful percussion therapy tools, you'll probably want to know how to use it.
And that's exactly where this guide comes in.
In this post, we'll show you exactly how a percussion massager works as well as how to use it.
Theragun Percussive Therapy in 5 Easy Steps
Whether it be a specific area of the body that you're wanting to target or a full body massage, here are five easy steps to relieving your sore muscles:
1. Fit the desired Theragun attachment to the device
Before powering on the percussive therapy device, pick out a Theragun attachment that suits the area of the body you'd like to target.
Each Theragun device comes with a different array of head attachments, here's what they are best suited for:
- Dampener: a generalist attachment that is particularly great for tender or bony areas.
- Standard ball: an attachment that is great at targeting both big and small muscle groups.
- Cone: great for pinpointing specific muscle groups, particularly those that are hard to reach like in the hands and feet.
- Thumb: this attachment is used mostly for targeting trigger points and getting into those extra sore spots within the lower back.
- Wedge: an attachment that is fantastic at getting into those particularly nasty trigger points behind the shoulder blades or for releasing painful lactic acid that regularly builds up in IT bands.
- Supersoft: this attachment emulates vibration therapy and is perfect for sensitive or particularly sore muscles.
2. Power on the Theragun device
Each Theragun device is slightly different to turn on. We'll list how to do this here:
- For the Theragun Pro and Theragun Elite, there are two ways to do this. To quick start, simply push the power button (located in the middle of the direction pad below the OLED screen) for two seconds. The device will power on and immediately start operating at a preset speed of 2,400 percussions per minute. To power on the device and set a desired operation setting, simply push the power button once and toggle through the device's treatment presets using the direction pad.
- For the Theragun Prime, locate the power button in the middle of the direction pad and push it in for two seconds. From there, push the direction pad either up or down to set the massage tool at the desired percussive setting.
- And, for the Theragun Mini, located on the right-hand side of the device, firmly press and hold down the multi-functional power/speed button for two seconds. Easy as that!
3. Rest the Theragun device where it's most needed
Now, finally the part you've been waiting for, let's start releasing those sore muscles and sensitive areas.
Although to get the most out of your muscle recovery treatment, it's a good idea not to jump straight in and push too hard to begin with. Instead, simply rest the massager on the muscle group or area you wish to target and slowly build pressure over time.
That way, it gives your muscles, tendons, and joints time to warm up and a chance for you to get used to how percussion therapy feels.
The best way to do this, apply small amounts of pressure and slowly move the massage gun about an inch a second, slower if needed.
4. Target trigger points and muscle knots
Once you've warmed your body up to the idea of percussion therapy, it's time to find those particularly sore spots where muscle tightness and possible scar tissue are at their worst.
Do this by slowly moving the massage gun around until you feel a muscle knot or area of extra tension. Once you've located this area, let the Theragun rest on that spot.
Hold here until you feel relief or can see a red area appear. A red complexion on your skin is an indication that blood flow has entered the area, just one of the many desired positive effects of percussion therapy.
5. Clean the device after use
And, once you're finished, the last step is to clean the device down.
The best way to do this is to first remove the head attachment from the device. Then, with a disinfectant wipe or a cloth lathered with soap, wipe down the attachment and store it within the travel case provided with all Theragun percussion massagers.
Theragun's range of massage guns is the perfect solution to sore muscles, muscle pain, and the dreaded delayed onset muscle soreness that often comes post-workout.
If you'd like to read more about Theragun's awesome line of products, be sure to check out our collection of Theragun massage guns here.